Gas Leak Response Procedure
Leaking liquefied petroleum or natural gas is a very dangerous condition which can cause devastating explosions or fires, resulting in property damage, serious injuries or death.
When a gas leak is reported to a petroleum supplier, retailer or transporter, the person receiving the call should be trained to properly handle the incident and complete a “Leak Report.” All of their employees should be trained in the following gas leak emergency response procedures. All training should be documented and records retained
Gas Leak Emergency Procedures
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA®), when a report of a gas leak or report of gas inside a building is received, the following actions should be taken:
• Clear the room, building or area of all occupants. Do not reenter the area until it has been determined to be safe.
• Use every practical means to eliminate sources of ignition. This includes, but is not limited to: matches, lighters, operating electrical switches or devices, opening furnace or other appliance doors and operating telephones.
• If possible, cut off all electric circuits at a remote source to eliminate operation of automatic switches in the danger area. Safety flashlights designed for use in hazardous atmospheres are recommended for use in such emergencies.
• Notify all personnel in the area and the gas supplier from a remote telephone away from the leak.
• Ventilate the affected portion of the building by opening windows and doors.
• Shut off the supply of gas to the areas involved.
• Investigate other buildings in the immediate area to determine if there is escaping gas.
Example Gas Leak Report
Each leak incident should be documented with a Leak Report that outlines all information obtained from the reporting party and all responses initiated by the gas supplier, retailer or transporter.
IF THERE IS ANY QUESTION AS TO THE SAFETY, HEALTH, OR WELFARE OF THE PEOPLE, CALL 911 TO HAVE THE FIRE DEPARTMENT DISPATCHED TO THE LOCATION
Name on the account: ___________________________________________________________
Date: ______________ Time: _____________ AM/PM
Percentage of the tank: ________________________
Leak Location Inside
1. Do you hear gas escaping? YES NO
2. Do you smell gas throughout the building? YES NO
3. Are all of the pilot lights lit? YES NO
4. Has the furnace, stove, water heater, or other appliance been moved recently? YES NO
5. Has the line been damaged? YES NO
6. Do you have the smell of gas all of the time? YES NO
If the answer is YES, how long have you smelled gas? ____________ hours
Leak Location Outside
1. Do you hear gas escaping? YES NO
2. Is the leak near the building? YES NO
3. Is the leak at or near the tank? YES NO
4. Is the leak in the yard? YES NO
5. Is there a visible fog cloud or vapors? YES NO
6. Have you smelled gas? YES NO
IF THE ANSWER TO ANY OF THE ABOVE IS YES, READ THE STATEMENT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO THE CALLER.
Taken by: ______________________________
Dispatched to: __________________________
Time: _________________________________ AM/PM
Fire Department Called: YES NO
Time called: ____________________________ AM/PM
Time completed: ________________________ AM/PM
Work order # _________________________________
From the information you have provided, we are requesting that you eliminate and prevent all sources of ignition, including, but not limited to, the use of matches, the operation of electrical switches, and to evacuate the structure to a safe distance.
Once you have everyone outside, unless the leak is at the tank, you should turn off the service valve on the supply tank. A service technician will be dispatched to your location immediately. Do NOT allow anyone except qualified gas professionals or fire service personnel to enter the building until a complete inspection has been made, and, if there is a leak, it has been repaired. Do you understand these Instructions?
Signature of person taking the call: ______________________________ Date: _______________
Home Office: 717 Mullberry St. | Des Moines, IA 50309 | 800-447-2295 | www.emcins.com
Disclaimer: This material is designed and intended for general information purposes only, and is not intended, nor shall be construed or relied upon, as specific legal advice.
© Copyright Employers Mutual Casualty Company 2024. All rights reserved. 6140 (1-15)