EMC Announces 2022 Charitable Giving and Community Involvement Impact
DES MOINES, Iowa (April 26, 2023)—Today, EMC Insurance Companies and the EMC Insurance Foundation announced their charitable giving and community involvement impact for 2022.
With last year’s contributions, the Foundation’s charitable giving on record passed the $30 million mark since its establishment in 1989. Additionally, each year EMC Insurance Companies funds a number of community projects and initiatives with corporate dollars for even greater impact.
“Our mission at EMC is to improve lives and one important way that we demonstrate this is through the support of our communities,” said Scott Jean, EMC President and CEO. “The collective impact of our philanthropy and volunteerism contributes to building a brighter and stronger future in the communities where we live and work, and this is something our team members, agents and policyholder can take a lot of pride in.”
Below is a snapshot of our 2022 community impact:
- Total Foundation Giving: $1.72 million
- Nonprofit Organizations Benefited: 127
- Total United Way Impact: $517,151
- Team Member & Retiree United Way Donations: $354,828
- EMC 50% United Way Match:$162,323
2022 Giving Highlights
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI): EMC has continued its commitment to DEI-related organizations and events throughout central Iowa. In 2022, support was provided for the Iowa Asian Alliance’s CelebrAsian, the Latino Heritage Festival, Iowa Juneteenth’s Community Builders Banquet, Capital City Pride Storytellers, Girls on the Run and more. Additionally, EMC sponsored a vendor booth at the Des Moines Farmers Market designed as an incubator program to support minority-owned small businesses and startups throughout the summer.
- Great Outdoors Foundation – North Shore Project: EMC offered significant support to help make Des Moines’s Easter Lake Park’s north shore the most accessible park in America. The project will features accessible playground equipment, zero-entry ramps to allow people with limited mobility access to the water, wide sidewalks for wheelchair users along the shorefront and a de-escalation room for people with sensory input disorders.
- Donation Drives: Three donation drop-off drives were held at the EMC campus in support of United Way’s Stuff the Bus initiative, United Way’s Day of Action and Orchard Place’s Holiday Giving Tree program. Team members across central Iowa donated over 1,000 hygiene products on United Way’s Day of Action to be donated to Des Moines Public Schools hygiene pantries, where students can discreetly access free items for their households.
- Science Center of Iowa – Innovation Lab: EMC focused on inspiring the next generation of thinkers and makers by supporting the Science Center of Iowa’s Innovation Lab. The Innovation Lab features technology and tools that ignite interest in science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM), and the space is used for hands-on learning opportunities.
EMC’s branch offices located in 17 cities around the country were also active in their communities, participating in fundraisers and donation drives for local nonprofit organizations. A few examples include:
- The Valley Forge, Pennsylvania office participated in a food donation collection for Coventry Food Pantry. This local pantry provides food, toiletries and supplies to families and individuals in need, as well as offering healthy food and snacks to local students.
- The Birmingham, Alabama office moved locations and donated excess and unused office supplies to a local public school district for their students and staff to use.
- The Bismarck, North Dakota office raised funds for HUB International’s HUB Gives charity event. EMC’s donation went towards the Ronald McDonald House, a nonprofit organization that supports families with critically ill children.
About the EMC Insurance Foundation
The EMC Insurance Foundation was established in 1989 and funds eligible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations around the country in a variety of areas: arts and culture, community projects, education, emergency needs, health and human services, youth and more. The Foundation is a distinct, independent nonprofit, separate from EMC Insurance Companies. Funding and sponsorship requests can be submitted online. For more information, visit EMC’s community involvement page.
About EMC Insurance Companies
EMC Insurance Companies has approximately 2,200 employees and is among the top 60 property and casualty insurance organizations in the country based on net written premium. Employers Mutual Casualty Company (EMCC) was organized in 1911 to write workers’ compensation protection in Iowa. Today, operating under the trade name EMC Insurance Companies, the company provides commercial property/casualty lines, bonds and life insurance products and services throughout the United States. EMCC is licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. For more information, visit emcins.com.